March 28, 2013

Food Log, Day 6

Good evening... Whoops,I almost forgot to update the food log. It's not because of laziness! I had many tasks to handle before everyone starts the long weekend.


Breakfast (@ Hotel)- 2 white bread - A cups of black- A glass of orange juice

Lunch (@ Training)- Tofu, Green peppers, Mushroom (lightly stair fried, salt)- Fruits cocktail (Peer & Banana) *It's not a cocktail with alcohol!
- Herbal Tea
Snack- A cup of Decaf-Black Coffee- Fruits cocktail (Peer & Banana)

Dinner (@ Hotel - bought at a deli)- Broccoli - Carciofi (Marinated in Garlic & Extra Virgin Olive Oil)- Maltese fresh vegetables (olive, tomato, onion, peppers, garlic and keepers marinated in vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt)
- Maltese crackers (vegetarian)
- Maltese red beans humus 

Note: No Chocolate No Wine :)

Thanks to my mother, who does not like meat at all, I grew up with almost no-meat diet at home. Schools provided various range of school lunch menus - most of them tasted very good as they cooked from scratch in-house! Fish? I remember I used to steal my grand father's Sashimi (especially high-quality Tuna)while I was carrying his plate to him!
But I preferred to have more vegetable than meat/fish - it was my natural choice since when I was little - we had no idea (and still many people back home have no clue...) about vegetarian and vegans. 


I was raised in the culture that "Eat everything that you have on the table, meals which have been served for you! Don't even think about leaving a piece of rice in your plate/rice ball!"
It means that we should not waste the precious source of living that we have been given by nature, and show respects (by eating up) to all works/efforts of farmers/fishermen/cooks and whoever prepared the meal for you.


But... we also say
"you eat (fill up) up to 80% of your stomach (= apetite)"
It means "do not overfeed yourself". 

Naturally, the amount of food to be prepared will be carefully considered - I think this concept is reflected on "Shojin Ryori" or "Kaiseki Ryori" - each plat holds small amount of food (seasonal ingredients) - but serve in numbers (sometime 7-10 different plats).
Ancestors were so wise :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment